Joyce's Mom's Kugel
1-1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 pound broad noodles
6 tablespoons melted butter cooled to room temperature
6 eggs, beaten separately
1 cup sugar
1 pound creamed cottage cheese
1/2 pound farmers cheese*
3 ounces cream cheese (I use Neufchatel) at room temperature
2 cups milk (I use non-fat)
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup sugar mixed with two teaspoons (more if you like, none if you don't) of cinnamon
1 teaspoon almond extract (if desired -- not in the original but good!)
1) Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
2) Cook noodles according to package directions.
3) Beat cream cheese with electric mixer in large bowl. Add eggs, one
at a time. Follow with crumbled farmers cheese on low speed, then
cottage cheese. Add remaining ingredients except raisins and noodles
and sugar/cinnamon mix. Vanilla (and almond, if used) should
4) In a large, deep casserole dish mix drained cooked noodles (by hand) with liquid ingredients and fold in raisins.
5) Top with sugar/cinnamon mixture and bake, covered, for 1 hour.
* Good quality farmers cheese is soft and crumbles easily. It's
available at Whole Foods, Everfresh (the Russian store in Reisterstown)
and other good cheese stores. I've had trouble finding it at
Giant, Safeway and Superfresh. [Sue Feder's note: 7 Mile Market in
Pikesville has a huge selection, including imported from Israel.]